Friday, August 12, 2011

animal by-product jar & my fly friend

    So recently I had the idea of an animal by-product jar that I posted on the peta2 boards  and it seems that most people love the idea so I will post it here as well.
So this idea may have been thought of before I'm not sure but I just thought of it myself this morning. I am only vegetarian though I do support veganism. I think what happens to the animals in the diary, egg and other industries that result in animal by-products is horrible. Every time I drink milk I am thinking of what happens to the veal calves etc. Anyways I was drinking a cup of milk this morning when I had an interesting thought.  
I am sure you have all heard of a swear jar. When the person [normally children of people in a family household] swears they have to put money into a jar. People have used this kind of thing to stop other types of bad behaviors as well. So I thought why not make a animal by-product jar. 
[I haven't for myself yet once I have a job so I have a steady flow of income I most likely will] So every time you choose to consume dairy, eggs or other animal by-products you would put money into the jar and then that money could go for a donation to a farm animal sanctuary or maybe even buying vegan alternatives that way even if it doesn't slow down your consumption of the animal by-products it will at least be putting a flow of money into helping animals. 
You could adjust the rules for yourself. You could choose to do it only for every time you drink milk, or just eggs. You could also set different amounts of money for the different types of products. For Example: 
Milk: $0.75 Egg: $0.50 Other Dairy Products like Ice Cream, Cheese, Yogurt, Butter, Cream, Milk Chocolate: $0.25 Honey, Gelatin (Some people say this isn't vegetarian I know) and other known small ingredients: $0.10  
I set the example money amounts low (I think) you can choose whatever works for you. So what do you guys think good idea? You could decorate your jar with peta2 stickers take a photo and send it in with your story on how you are trying to lean more towards veg*ism (this could also be used by you meat eater activists to limit your meat in take)and what you did or will do with your money and I'm sure peta2 might even give some street team points.
   So let me know what you guys think!  I also just wanted to post a picture on here in response with my reply on another peta2 board topic.
I wouldn't kill a fly like that shoo it away sometimes if it gets really annoying flying around my head but most of the time if they land on my arms and stuff I just watch them and let them sit there for a bit and then they fly away....
my fly friend
     Am I going to make a big deal if someone else kills a fly, no.  Will I kill a harmless fly if they are just hanging out on or around me, no. If you read the rest of my reply on the topic I do sometimes kill horse flies and such bugs that hurt me, but why kill a harmless housefly? [though I guess they still can carry diseases]

   Anyway if you haven't yet you should join the peta2 street team [it is free!] so you can join in on the interesting conversations going on on the peta2 boards!

Peace, Love, Far.

1 comment:

  1. I had heard of "Swear Jars" and the like, but I had long forgotten about them. I like your idea of doing a vegan jar thing. I am vegan, but of course, I mess up sometimes. (Who doesn't make mistakes, right?) So, as of NOW, I am starting one for myself. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete